Welcome


This Blog will be a place dedicated to interview the Wonderful Flower Pressers and Artists
around the world that use 'Pressed Flowers" as part of their medium .
Let the world see What kind of " Art" can be made from it!
Please let me know if You would
to do an interview too or know someone ?
Come back often and Peace and Keep on Pressing...


This is the poem that reminded me to do this.

"Let us be grateful to people who make us happy,
they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom." Marcel Proust




Friday, January 27, 2012

Interview with Sarah Samsel , WWPFG member


Look Carefully my friends at these pictures. They are all made by pressed plant material . If that is not enough check out the age of this talented artist. Pressed Flower Art is only one of many of this young lady's talents!She is a Mixed Media Artist , when you finish reading this wonderful interview , go see her blog .




Name:
Sarah Samsel

Where are you from?
Clarkesville, Ga.

How Long have You been doing Pressed Flower Art and/or using Pressed Plant material in your art and crafts as a medium   ?
 
Since I was 10, which was 6 years ago.

Do you remember the first thing you pressed ?
 
I remember pressing spiraea for bookmarks as one of my first pressed-flower projects.

What’s your favorite mediums /materials?
 
I really like banana peel, money plant, maple leaves, birch bark, pampas grass and plenty of others.

What is your favorite glues ? 
 
All I use is basic Elmer’s school glue unless I’m adhering sanwa paper. Then I use spray adhesive.
 
Do You use sealers on your pressed flowers.
 
I seal with glass, nothing liquid.

What is your favorite Flower to Press and How do you do it?


I don’t use them much but I enjoy the process of dissecting a passionflower to press. You can see how I do it by visiting this blog post:
http://sarahslavenderblog.blogspot.com/2010/10/passionflower-pressing-procedure.html

Please feel free to tell us about your work, inspiration, and thoughts with us too.
 
I think a lot of my pictures are done on whims. If I thought through them too long many of them probably would not have come to be. Sometimes I’m inspired by a piece of plant material. Once I found a mushroom that reminded me of a bear’s nose so I built the rest of the bear around it.

Where  can we find your work ? web ,blog , shops ,etc   
 
My blog is: www.sarahslavenderblog.blogspot.com

Please share tips ?
 
I like making templates to glue my plant material to before I attach it to the picture.
 
I like using ground kitchen herbs for grass, bushes and streets.
 
I like gathering tiny oak and maple leaves in the very early spring, before they grow big.
 


Tell stories that You want people to know about working with pressed flowers and plants .
 
I found out about WWPFG through our now deceased neighbor, Darlene Millard Spratlin. Soon after I joined she hosted a WWPFG conference in Georgia, walking distance from my house. I attended my first conference and was thrilled with the artwork in the competition room, asked questions and saw faces that up until then were only yahoo group names. The next year I actually got to go to the California WWPFG conference! My dad took me and I learned so much and met even more amazing people! It was a dream come true!
 
Okay everyone,  I hope you enjoyed the blog and will leave comments and Please click the Share buttons ! 
Till next time Peace and Happy Pressing !


3 comments:

  1. I am honored to have met Miss Sarah several times at conferences and gatherings. She is an amazing, talented and gracious young woman! Lynn L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Terica, for another wonderful interview! I love Sarah's art and was lucky enough to meet her at that 2008 Conference...such a delightful young lady.
    Marie Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lynn and Marie Ann , thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I have not had the pleasure of meeting Sarah in person but I have So enjoyed getting to know her and watch her grow in her art.
    Terica

    ReplyDelete

Thank You So much for the comments it can get lonely here!
I am opening the comment section to all ,with Hopes that everyone will be nice and I will not have to monitor . Please leave comments that are meant for Me or the Artist in the interview .Peace

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...